Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Introduction from Long-Term Volunteer: Kimberly


Hey everyone,

So I realized that I never got around to introducing myself. Getting settled in and accustomed to the work has filled up much of my time, not to mention the fact that I am super self-conscious when it comes to my writing.

Sooo for those of you who haven’t met me through your group visits since mid-august… I’m Kimberly—Kimber for short. I grew up in Rhode Island and went to university at C. W. Post Long Island University. I recently graduated in May of 2010 with a degree in Social Work. My first experience with Esperanza was through the campus ministry at Post. I joined the trip not knowing a single person and not knowing at all what to expect. After an amazing week, I decided to continue working with the campus ministry and Esperanza by joining the trip each year. Every year after, the trip offered something different and I kept coming back.

I joined the Esperanza team down here in Tijuana as a long term volunteer this past August. I plan on being here until August of this year. So much has been done and I've learned even more about Esperanza with my time here. After I finish volunteering with Esperanza I will be attending grad school at Tulane University. I will be earning my MSW (Masters in Social Work) with a specialization in International Social Work. I can't stress enough the positive influence Esperanza has had on my life choices. I'm just so grateful to have this opportunity to volunteer long term.

I’d like to thank all the groups I’ve gotten to know since I’ve been down here. Here’s to you making this experience one of a kind –

Cline Family, FCC Bellingham, St. Louise, Bethel Lutheran, Trinity Lutheran, Team Hope, Providence Health System, Neighborhood UUC, Friends of Providence, Seattle U Campus Ministry, Long Island University, and the Bethany/Henderson Group! I don't want to forget my mom and friend Cindy who came down this past week! Thank you for experiencing something that holds a grand place in my heart.

I’m currently working on putting up some pictures of the progress we’ve made since August! Stay tuned!

<3>

No comments:

Post a Comment